Friday 20 January 2012

The Rules of War

"Whether your convictions lean anti-war, just war or pro-war, most agree that when there is a war being fought, it needs to be fought fairly."
I found this recent article in a magazine named Reject Apathy. Link below.

Fairly? A war being fought fairly? I wonder what that would look like. Dream with me...

Team 1: Hello Mr. Enemy nice day for a battle today.

Team 2: Ahh yes, why don't we fight today? (In some accent that the other team can actually understand because that would make it more fair!)

Team 1: First let's remind ourselves of why we are fighting just so we're all clear. Choose your answer:
       Option A - Our political system is superior to yours and you should do it our way!
       Option B - You have something that we want and you won't give it to us, at least for the price we want to pay
       Option C - You killed us so now it's our turn to kill you. 
       Option D - Our economy needs a boost so we thought we'd start a war. Sorry, nothing personal.
       Option E - Fill in your own blank

Team 2: Now that we got that out of the way how should we continue? Let's say I won't use any more than 6 airplanes, 30 bombs, 12 tanks, 10 snipers and 400 foot soldiers for the day.

Team 1: But we don't have 6 airplanes, we only have 4.

Team 2: Oh, I didn't realize how many got shot down earlier I apologize. Ok so we'll scale back to 2 so you can have some for next time too.
Team 1: That's nice of you! Thanks :). 

And on and on it could go...!

I can't imagine a war being fought fairly. I don't think that could ever happen. And when I read this article it got my blood boiling for what I understand the call of Jesus to be on our lives. I don't think that war fits in there very easily. Personally I am against war. As a Christian I believe strongly in the words of Jesus and I strive to emphatically live them out in my life. I don't think that Jesus said anything even remotely close to the idea that He endorses war. In fact I believe that He is adamantly against it.

Here are some words in scripture to suggest why I think Jesus doesn't stamp his approval on war. But just before I go there I need to set the stage. I think that everything that Jesus calls us to seems upside-down or counter-cultural from what we think on Earth. This is why I think this way.

1 Corinthians 1:18 - For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved (we see in it God's power) it is the power of God. (my own understanding).


Luke 9:23-24 - Then Jesus said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it.

Matthew 6:19-21-  Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven.... For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 

These all, and more, suggest to me that the way that Jesus calls us into doesn't make sense for earthly gain. You have to make the choice. So I've chosen the way of Jesus! And that needed to be said before I could ever begin to talk about how to act then on this earth in respect to a fair war.

Here are some passages that I think deal more directly with war.  

1 Corinthians 4:12-13 - When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when we are slandered, we answer kindly. (This is Paul talking about what He has endured because he proclaimed Christ so boldly.)

Proverbs 25:21-22 -  
  If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat;
   if he is thirsty, give him water to drink.
 In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head,
   and the LORD will reward you.


** NOTE ** This doesn't mean that you get to throw hot rocks on his head after you are nice to him. It means rather, that your job is to be a blessing and that it will be God who passes judgement. Sorry if that got you excited!


Lev 19:18, Matt 5:43, Matt 19:19, Matt 22:39, Mark 12:31 & 33, Luke 10:27,  Romans 13:9, Gal 5:14, Jam 2:8. Here's at least 10 references. - Love your neighbour as yourself.

Maybe my favorite verse and the one that I can't see really getting around is found in Matthew 5:38-42.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

This verse could have a whole book written on it but all I'll comment here is that if someone is trying to overpower you then your response should be to over-bless them. It's kind of like Romans 12:21 - Do not be overcome with evil, but overcome evil with good.

That sounds Upside-Down! And it is. Living the life of Christ will go against what the world has to offer but in Christ is life and life to the fullest. You are invited into this life too. Join myself and many others on the journey!

Don't play fairly! Ambush people with love! 


The name of the magazine that I found this in was called Reject Apathy. Awesome magazine! I'll have it in my office if people want to look at it or here is the link to this article.


http://rejectapathy.com/magazine/archives/issue-02/slices/26185-what-are-the-rules-of-war




Additional verses to look up if you'd like:


1 Corinthians 13 - a great definition of love. 


Luke 10:25-37 - parable of the Good Samaritan.

Philippians 2:5-11 - your attitude should be the same as that of Christ...

3 comments:

  1. Interesting take on war Russ,

    I realize this was published nearly a year ago but here's a little response.

    Before people start reading this and start thinking that being against war is the way of Jesus, consider this...

    Who is Jesus? John 10:30-39.

    What does John 1:1-5, 14 and 1 Corinthians 1:15-23 say about Jesus?

    What did Jesus (the Son in the Trinity) say in Judges 6:16?

    Why in this blog about war is there no reference to Gideon, Samson, Joshua and David? - All called to go to war by God. There's other examples in the Old Testament. Why was all that avoided and skipped?

    What does the bible say in Romans 13:1-7 about the government wielding the sword to punish those who do wrong?

    Revelation 14?

    I'm not saying this because war is always the right answer but just by looking at the Bible I find it incredibly difficult to say that Jesus (God) does not endorse war. Sometimes He does and this blog was missing the other side.

    So before taking the "against war" view because your a Christian, try to answer the questions above.

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thanks for the comment on my post. I've got a couple of short things to say about this.

      I believe that there are things in the Christian life that are of utter importance for salvation which we refer to as the majors and then there are those convictions that we can differ on and still call one another fully committed followers of Christ which we call the minors. Something that I strive to do is to not make a major out of the minors. As I've written my perspective above I want to say that I don't call final judgement on those that disagree with me. I never want to make a major issue out of the minors.

      I believe that Christ came to bring in a new covenant and that is the covenant of reconciliation as mentioned in 2 Corinthians 5:11-21. I believe that the Old Testament had it's place but that in Jesus as described in the New Testament ushers in a new way of life.

      Below is the perspective of the denomination of the Evangelical Missionary Church of Canada which is the denomination that I minister with. I appreciate what they say about it.

      ATTITUDE TOWARD STRIFE AND MILITARY SERVICE

      Believers are to love their enemies, do good to them that hate them(1), overcome evil with good, and, as much as possible, live peaceably with all men(2). Therefore, it is not fitting for the Christian to promote strife between nations, classes, groups, or individuals.

      (1) Matt. 5:43-48. (2) Rom. 12:14-21, 13:1-4.

      Sincere Christians have conscientious differences as to their understanding of the teaching of the Word of God with reference to their responsibility as Christian citizens to human government both in times of war and times of peace. We are, therefore, to exercise tolerance and understanding, and respect the individual conscience with regard to participation in wars.


      Back to my words. If you believe differently than I do but still have allowed Jesus to change your life away from your own ambitions then I can without doubt still call you my brother and/or sister in Christ. But that needs to come first. Christ needs to have His way with us first and foremost and that is the most important!

      Hope this helps a bit. Thanks again for the comment.

      Russ





      Source: http://www.emcc.ca/about/what-we-believe

      Delete
  2. You describe yourself as someone who loves to have conversations to find accurate truth and to be led into greater understanding. Nobody is asking you to make a major out of a minor. We can talk about our role as Christians and where military service fits in but first you claimed Jesus is against war, something I don’t think is accurate or truthful. Here’s what you said…

    "I don't think that Jesus said anything even remotely close to the idea that He endorses war. In fact I believe that He is adamantly against it."

    Russ I believe in the Holy Trinity – Father, Son and Holy Spirit – all as one in the same. They’re all one God. When you speak of Jesus saying He doesn’t endorse war or is adamantly against it, it would be the same as talking of the Father and Holy Spirit.

    What is said of God the Father in Exodus 33:18-23? “…no one may see me and live..”, “…but my face must not be seen.”.

    1 Timothy 6:16 – who alone is immortal, and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever.

    The Son existed before He came to earth as a man – as noted in John 1:1-5, 14 and 1 Corinthians 1:15-23 and known as The angel of the Lord in the Old Testament. He appeared to Moses (Exodus 3:2-6), Gideon (Judges 6:11-14), Jacob (Genesis 32:29-30) and Manoah (Samsons Father) – Judges 13:17-22. In each case they see the face of God and think they’re going to die but instead live - counter to Exodus 33:18-23 and 1 Timothy 6:16.

    Christ is God who we can see.

    If what you say is accurate, that Jesus is adamantly against war (based on Mathew 5:43-48, Proverbs 25:21-22, 1 Corinthians 4:12-13, or your refrences to "love your neighbor as yourself" - Lev 19:18, Matt 5:43, Matt 19:19, Matt 22:39, Mark 12:31 & 33, Luke 10:27, Romans 13:9, Gal 5:14, Jam 2:8) God changed His mind from the Old Testament where He directly talks of endorsing war. How did Saul become rejected as King (1 Samuel 15)? This "Jesus is against war" belief is also counter to how God is described in the future.

    Revelation 19:11 – I saw heaven standing open and before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war.

    To generalize and say Jesus is against war doesn't make sense to me unless He's for war, then against war, then for war again - too me this is the only way you can explain why you think this. Maybe you were applying all those verses to war, something Jesus wasn't directly talking about like you claim - but matches your view on war.

    To understand Gods character accuratly I think it's important to take all of scripture, not just those that reflect your view and avoid the rest.
    I believe God to be a God of love and peace, forgiving, gracious, gentle and slow to anger but also a God who's just - and sometimes that includes war. Without protection, there's no love (1 Corinthians 13:4-7).

    What do you think the military does - or is there to do?... - Particularily in a country like Canada? Why is "strife" in the same category as "military service"? Is it because you think they promote strife? Do police promote strife?

    God was clearly endorsing war in the Old Testament - and also when He returns as seen in Revelation - yet you think Jesus is adamantly against war?

    We can dissagree with each other but maybe this better explained my point of view. Thanks for the reply.





    ReplyDelete