Sunday 8 January 2012

Going Green

OK so this is what I've been thinkin',

I am all for caring for our world and I continually try to be more conscious of the decisions that I make on a daily basis that will impact our environmental world less dramatically. Over the years I have done a fair bit of research on how to be more friendly to the environment and it has been reflected in my life in many different ways, some grand and some a bit more simple.

So the other day I went to a new Safeway near our house. When it was being built they had intentions to make this one of the most environmentally friendly Safeway's around and I appreciate some of the initiatives that they made like having specific parking spots nearest the entrance for "green cars" and although I don't know how they define that it sounds great.

Anyways, I'm picking up my few things that I need (We never really shop at Safeway too much because the prices are outrageous but they have the best cheese bagels in their bakery so we have made this concession.) and go to the self check out which I've become fairly accustom to, although I thought they were so dumb when they first came out. My whole experience was wonderful until it came time to take my receipt! My mile long receipt could barely fit into my pocket! It required a second trip! I almost needed an extra bag (cloth of course!) Ok, so there is my thick sarcasm but in all reality the receipt was insanely long. I don't know how many receipts they print each day but probably a lot and no not everyone wants to fill out your online survey in the extremely slim chance of winning a gift card! I've had this same issue with other stores as well and I don't know how unfriendly receipt paper is but I'm sure it's got to add up. What ever happened to the days when a receipt showed you the simple basics? When your wallet didn't explode from trying to track some expenses?

I'm sure that there are bigger issues that effect the environment more than this but I don't know if anyone is doing any research on this! I know that there are people trying to find out how to make more efficient vehicles and ways to extract oil with less environmental impact but I don't know if anyone has applied for a grant to research the effects of  receipt paper of which many people don't even look at! Maybe someone reading this should apply for that grant! If you do let me know.

I not only have a problem but now I have a solution. I just thought about it right now because I don't really care for people who just rant about things and then offer no solution to their problem. So I think that all receipting should be done through your bank, given that you pay with with plastic as I do about 95% of the time. Then you can not only see your transactions online but the details too.

Maybe this idea sucks but then again I haven't been given a grant (nor applied for one) on how to make this system more green. If we could save a couple million slivers then maybe that might amount to a few less stumps!

And that's the corn on my cob today!

Cheers to the Irish, the most green people on the planet

1 comment:

  1. I've been bothered by lenghthy receipts for awhile. The mile long info about the survey is rediculous -how about one line? It's been noted that simple advertising is more effective actually. I'm actually one to take time (not every time) to apply for winning free stuff (although I don't know why b/c I've NEVER won) and it still bothers me.
    PS. I like your solution!

    ReplyDelete