Friday 27 April 2012

10 Years


If you have ever been one of those people that have wondered if things could ever change with time then I'm here to tell you that so much can happen in a time that seems so short! Sharing my life with my wife has changed me forever. These are some of my reflections.


Today is the day that my beautiful wife and I are celebrating 10 years of marriage. We compiled of list of "accomplishments" that we've had in that time and it was pretty wild. We didn't only go over the good but we also reflected on how we have overcome much of the adversity to success that life has tried to throw at us, but you can't keep a good thing down!

Even throughout the bad times it's easy to take what we have for granted. I think that's one of the biggest temptations in marriage is to just accept that what you have is what you were given and that's just how life is. But the challenge in marriage and any relationship that you truly honour is that you have to not accept mediocre as ok but to really strive for better, whatever that better might look at the time.

There have been times in our marriage that better wouldn't take too much. There have been times that throwing in the towel would have been the easier thing to do. And then there have been times that better was unimaginable. What could be better than this? And so we enjoy those moments and soak it all in. But no matter what life has given us through our own choices or sometimes just our circumstances we have remembered our vows to one another to stick it all out, together!

That means being honest when it's hard. That means showing love when you don't feel it. That means talking it out when you'd rather just head out the door. That means having oatmeal for breakfast every morning because it was the cheapest thing to fill your stomach. I still hate oatmeal! It means day in and day out remembering that you chose to commit to each other. We have not always shared the feelings of love over the past 10 years but have always shared the choice of love and that has trumped the day.

I'm thankful beyond words of the many people that have shown us that marriage can last the test of time and many couples have given us standards that we strive for. My parents and my grandparents are two examples that are close to me but there have been many others. So to those of you who have been an example to me thank you!

We often wonder what life will be like on our 20th anniversary. And although many things will have changed I hope that there is two constants.

1. That what God has unified that no one will be able to break that apart!
2. That we will be able to look back and reflect of the many times that we chose to love rather than to walk and that we will always strive to enjoy the moment but never settle for second best.

Still to this day we have our vows framed and hanging in our room. I haven't looked at them for a while but from time to time over the past 10 years I have stopped by those framed words and reminded myself of the promise I made on that day, April 27, 2002. I have wept over those words because sometimes they seem too hard.

Thank you God that you have given me strength beyond compare and that we can truly celebrate how you have shaped our relationship into a beautiful dance that will carry on!

To my wife, I love you still. I love you more. I love you forever! Thank you for never giving up on us, on me!

5 comments:

  1. Good words here, Russ. :-)
    A wonderful anniversary to you and Julia. And I can tell you at 20 years(it's our 20 year next month) it is just a wonderful, but ah...yeah, better! We all really have no clue what we're saying on our wedding days, what we're committing to....and that's good, because the journey is so amazing, and we can't understand until we start walking it. Continue to enjoy yours. God is so good.
    ~janice.(& corey)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very well written post, Russ... and as the journey continues many more surprises show up along the way some are fabulous and others.... well, let's just say unexpected!

    But with Love, Prayer and Faith -- it is the most scenic and amazing road we take in our lives, although, as your friend Janice says above "we really have no clue what we're saying on our wedding day".

    Congratulations to you and Julia and I wish you many more happy and adventurous years to come.
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I stayed with the kids the other night I read your vows and was deeply moved by them. You guys have truly inspired my heart over the last few months as I have got to know you more as my friends. Especially as I have heard of some of the hard times you guys have gone through but persevered through. I desire to be around your family so much to keep reminding myself the wait is worth it and I can only hope my marriage is a strong as you guys! So thank you for passing on the model and being an amazing example in my life for me to aspire after! I'm excited to see what adventures and blessings the next 10 years will bring! Make sure you book me in advance so maybe you can get away on your actual anniversary next time! Blessings friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I read through your blog, I can't help but be emotional. For one I am soooo blessed to have you as my son. You have often inspired me to keep going, that life is a continuous journey, and that the God that has brought us this far is faithful and will continue to be there each step of the way ahead. Then for you to have chosen such a special woman to be your partner in marriage, we love you Julia. I have seen each of you grow in your love and commitment to each other and it makes my heart sing. I rejoice when you rejoice and have those great times on the mountian, so to speak. On the other hand, I can't help but hurt when you go through the valley, obsticles that I wish I could shield you from (I guess that will always be part of being your Mom), but they are only speed bumps. They slow us down but this is so that we can reflect, take a breath, refocus keep going. I am thankful that I can commit you to our Father in Heaven who loves you, cares for you and always has His best in mind for you.
    May you always have that sparkle in your eyes only for each other
    May you always find each other atractive and the one you just can't wait to spend that next date with
    May you love like there is no other
    May you go through life embrassing what marriage has to offer you and
    May you hold each other up when times get challenging.

    So a hudge congratulations to both of you on 10 years! (where has the time gone?)
    Much love and prayers, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great words Russ.

    ReplyDelete