Friday 1 June 2012

Prayer of Augustine

This is a prayer by St. Augustine in his book entitled, 'Confessions.' It is a prayer that I have translated and memorized, with actions I should say, with my son Isaac. I pray that he will know the meaning of this prayer more and more in his life as he matures with age.

Here is the prayer in it's old English:

"Narrow is the mansion of my soul; enlarge Thou it, that Thou mayest enter in. 
It is ruinous; repair Thou it. 
It has that within which must offend Thine eyes; I confess and know it. 
But who shall cleanse it? Or to whom should I cry, save Thee? 
Lord, cleanse me from my secret faults, and spare Thy servant from the power of the enemy. 
I believe, and therefore do I speak. Lord, Thou knowest."

This is our translation (I may have heard it somewhere but I don't remember):

"My life house is narrow, will you please make it wider. 
It is going to collapse, will you please rebuild it. 
Inside it is messy, this I know and I admit."

Upon reflection I realize that we have missed the part where we invite the Cleaner in. The only One that can clean up the mess of life that all of us find ourselves in. Any ideas as to how I could include that well? And remember that it needs an action!

May your life's desires also reflect this prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment