Thursday 3 May 2012

Cry Baby

You know when a little child asks for something that is completely absurd? Let's think of some examples:

- Hey dad, can I have this bag of cotton candy right before I go to bed?
- Mom, can I help you fry the oil spitting bacon?
- Yo folks, can I stay up all night and play video games?

These are pretty innocent questions to a mind that really is quite focused on what it wants at the time and as a parent of an 8 year old and two 3 year olds these are the types of questions I could imagine. But these questions in their minds are of vital importance and can only have one answer, YES! But wouldn't that in the end be harmful for that child if any of these questions were answered with a yes? These types of situations will possibly end up with a responded "No" and a chaotic tantrum by the young child.

Aren't we often the same even though we have matured so greatly and have lived through so much life experience, sorry my tongue was in my cheek there! Have you ever sounded like this?

- Hey God, could I have lots of money so that I wouldn't have to budget very strictly and still go out on the town every night?
- Hey God, I want to have sex anytime I want because it seems fun!
- Hey God, could you show that person your justice a little early so that they wouldn't bother me any longer?

Don't we so often think that we have the right plan and we will only accept one answer, YES! Well, I think quite often we must seem like that little child that is so sure that they have the right plan for their life but what they really want would really be so harmful to them. There is a better plan! It's trusting those that are above us and we know that God is above all. Try trusting God who holds the whole world in his hands. Try not throwing a fit when something doesn't work out the way you wanted. Try depending completely on God in all that you do. It's a life worth living and I keep striving for it! Join me.

Thanks to Augustine for this teaching, slightly adapted.

No comments:

Post a Comment