Monday 14 May 2012

A Bug's Life

No deep thoughts today. Just musings of a boy.

As a boy I was always been intrigued by bugs. I think that's what guys are blessed with.

As I have so matured into a beautiful man I have enjoyed having a nice lawn, grow some sweet veggies and at least take care of the rest of what I've been given on my plot of earth. And as I have two young boys I have been able to relive my youth with them as they have also been blessed with the intrigue of looking for, capturing and squishing bugs.

Recently I have been able to combine three things that I love; bugs, boys and a beautiful garden. I have discovered, as have many others, that there is a new bug on the market. It is called the Lily Beetle but I call it the spawn of Satan! They come to seek, kill and destroy and they prowl like a roaring lion and yet are as quiet as a wolf on the prowl. They are tough to kill and seem to never go away. There is no known pesticide that will kill them.
So the only proven line of attack is to pick them off one by one by hand and squish them under foot. This isn't bad for the first 20 or so but once you get close to the triple digits then it gets tiresome. So I usually include the boys who get to squish them and I pick them. Lately I have found some bugs that have coupled up and seemingly are giving one another a piggy back but I think we all know what is really going on! I feel a little bit rude disturbing their dance but in another sense it brings me great joy to get two preoccupied bugs with comparative ease.
Piggy Backing Lily Beetles!

So anyways, I thought I'd share with you my recent joy of killing bugs, hanging out with my boys and hopefully giving my garden, specifically my lilies, a great chance to be as beautiful as they were created to be.

I hope you enjoyed reading this just even half the amount that I loved writing it!     




3 comments:

  1. The thought of squishing bugs is truly revolting to me but..... as a result of such dedication to eradicating the little pests, I hope you get to see some gorgeous lilies this summer. hehehe Enjoy your garden and your boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love our lilies and it would pain me to see them squandered once again this year. These bugs totally devour the plant and worse yet when they lay their eggs the young surround themselves with their own feces so that nothing wants to touch it! What a great insect to have around :(

      Delete
  2. Yuk! You go squish them to your hearts content! Best of luck with your flowers. To know how successful you've been, we will need to see a picture once they bloom! :-)

    ReplyDelete